Thursday, January 1, 2015

Carve December

Happy New Year!!!  Let's talk about December!

I couldn't resist Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's  Carve December, she's carving rubber stamps everyday in December!! I love her style, inspiration and blog. I have been preparing for Project Life journaling in 2015, so I thought it would be fun to join in and carve some rubber stamps for my journaling project. I have carved stamps before, I took a class at an art retreat a few years back but never really did much with it. Julie's carving has sparked a new interest for me. I find carving very relaxing. If you wanna give it a try Julie has an online class here. Julie is a mixed media artist and does some fun sewing projects and makes all kinds of fun fabric. You might want to check her blog for some great ideas. There's also a lot of info on stamp carving on pinterest and youtube, so if you'd rather try it for free snoop around the internet you're sure to find some good info. Here's my attempts!
I use stamps on fabric as well as my paper crafts. For stamping on fabric I add a fabric medium(there are lots of brands to choose from, this is one example) to acrylic paint and stir well, then pour it on a piece of wax paper, roll a brayer into the paint to coat the brayer and roll it over the stamp to load the paint on the stamp, then press it down onto the fabric. I did not carve the stamps used below in my projects, but I plan to use my own designs in the future! Stamps with little detail work best and are also easier to carve!
I stamp the fabric before I assemble the project I am using the stamped fabric in. I like having fabric that is unique and one of a kind. Stamping is an easy way to get original fabric!

Go make something,
Nini~

No comments:

Post a Comment