Monday, January 5, 2015

Rag Quilts for Baby

One of my first attractions to quilting was the rag quilt, I like this raggy shaggy ends sticking out making a grid pattern on the front of the quilt. It took me a good 5 years to actually get to making one. I found the bird flannel fabric and thought it would make a cute baby boy quilt. The fact that I had no baby boy to give it to didn't stop me from making it! It went together easy enough I used my design board to help with placement of the squares so they looked randomly placed(does that even make sense?).

I used this book Made From Scratch Biscuit Quilts by Annis Clapp to help me with construction of the quilt, but I didn't use any pattern for it. I wanted to play around with the fabrics I had and figure it out myself.







To get the exposed seam allowances shredded and shaggy they tell you to put it in the washer machine a few times. This is after two washes, I think it needs more roughing up, but when I took it out of the washer it had so many pills and threads stuck to it that it looked like an old worn out quilt so I just put it aside for a long time. After talking to Chelsey about it I decided to try shaving it with a dispisable razor and this is what happened! It really did help it immensely! I'm not sure it's baby shower gift quality, but there's probably a little somebody somewhere that would love to be wrapped in the warmth and love I've sewn up!



I have a  little girl version cut and ready to sew but when I got the bad results from washing I couldn't get started on it. Now that I know about the shaving technique I will get started on this one!


Have you ever made a project that didn't quite turn out the way you planned? What did you do to fix it? Please share you secrets!


Go make something!!

Nini~

2 comments:

  1. Your rag quilt is great! The few I have made took several washing's to get it were it was shredded enough to look comfy. This quilt is the perfect gift for a little munchkin-who will love snuggling with this beauty. As for those--"Was Not The Plan Quilts"--there are too many for me to mention--but that is when charity gifting is so.... rewarding! You learn and someone receives a gift. WIN_WIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Great plan...I have lots of charity gifts then!!

      Nini!

      Delete