Monday, June 30, 2014

Quilting in Layers Workshop....Learning New Techniques is Good!


Terry Kramzar's Quilting In Layers Workshop

Camaco Quilt Guild held a lovely workshop a few weeks ago with Terry Kramzar, Quilting In Layers, An Art Quilt Technique. There were many techniques in this workshop for me to learn, it really sparked my creativity thinking about how I could use the different techniques for making other art quilts.  There's quilt as you go, thread painting, appliqué, basting with white glue, finishing with facing instead of binding. I was out of my comfort zone using monopoly invisible thread along with metallic thread. I like learning or trying something new and the challenge it presents. I found many challenges with using unusual threads in my machine, I had to make adjustments as I went along, but an art quilt is the artist's representation and doesn't have to be perfect, it's my kind of quilting!

 I recommend Terry Kramzar's lectures and workshops for a great spark of creativity, her love of nature is contagious and understandably so! In fact any time you can learn something with a group of people you're bound to learn many things...not only about the subject,  but about the people you're learning with!








Facing instead of binding, I added hanging corners. Awesome non mitered facing tutorial by Susan Brubaker Knapp.
With facing there's no visible binding on the front, I like the look for art quilts and sometimes for other quilted projects, there's times when I don't want to add another element to the front and that's when facing works great, it's my new best friend. I'm still practicing, I haven't gotten it down yet, but it gets easier each time.

 Go learn something!

Nini~

Linking up with Anything Goes Monday At Stitch By Stitch


stitch by stitch

7 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out so pretty! I love the colors in it and the thread painting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to do some new techniques and visit some that I haven't done in a while!

      Nini~

      Delete
  2. It is a beautiful piece of Art! The colors you chose are great. It was such a wonderful class to learn so many creative techniques and it looks like you mastered them all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about mastered! I really like trying something new and then tucking into my lil book of techniques for the next right time to practice them!

      Nini~

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had great fun creating this piece - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have fun, that's the idea...sometimes I need to remind myself!

      Nini~

      Delete
  4. Great piece, I love the techniques you've used and faced quilts are my favourite - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete